Thursday, March 18, 2004

Hack!.... Slash! Woo!

Well, I was planning on playing and writing about a whole bunch of free Linux RPG this week, but the fan on my three day old graphics card died, so that's out until I get a replacement. And I was having a blast with the UT demo too. The new "Onslaught" game type is entirely addictive, leaving me twitching in the absence of my video card. Damn.

Anyway, with the main computer out of commission, I've been left with plenty of time alone with my PS2 and copy of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2. Sure, a lot of people have been saying that Champions Of Norrath is better in every conceivable way, but I just didn't get that from the demo I played. Of course, I played the original Dark Alliance and thoroughly enjoyed it up to the pain-in-the-ass cliffhanger ending I was sort of itching for a Dark Alliance 2 anyway. Also, I guess I'm just not into the whole Everquest thing, so DA2 definitely has the advantage on Norrath for me.

It's a very familiar(in a good way) feeling, hacking and slashing through waves of enemies building up experience and plundering all kinds of shit, especially if you're playing the game with a buddy, which is really the way that this game should be played. There seems to be a lot more variety in the dungeons this time around, and even though you'll run into more than a few familiar faces if you've played the first Dark Alliance, there are plenty of bad-ass new enemies to tear through like so much cocktail shrimp. At least I have something to do while I'm waiting to play UT2004 again...

No comments: