Thursday, April 29, 2004

Wicked Sick!

I've been spending a lot of time this week with my recently procured copy of Unreal Tournament 2004 so there's nothing free to talk about this week... Unless you count the UT2004 Demo, or those bogus Windows XP-only levels that have got everyone so pissed off. By the way, I'm too lazy to search for a link for you right now, but those levels are available for ALL platforms. You just have to do a little searching around.

Now, I know that the Linux version of UT2004 is not officially supported by Atari, but the question still enters my mind: Why would a company that ships a game with a Linux installer crap out a few levels exclusively for one branch of one operating system? The only answer I can think of: unrelenting pressure from Microsoft on game companies to pull this kind of shit. I, for one, won't stand for it. Embarrassingly enough, I'm currently forced to run the game on Windows XP due to the fact that I don't have enough hard drive space on the Linux side of my box. But, you know what? I still downloaded the re-packaged versions of the levels... just 'cause. Well, that and the fact that I would eventually like to run the game in Linux.

Lame business practices aside, this game is simply awesome. Every game mode is great, every level I've played has been a blast, and the graphics are total eye-candy. Probably one of the prettiest games I've seen, in fact. That is, until I picked up Farcry. That game is just beautiful. I just picked it up late last night so I haven't had much time with it yet. I'll get back to you next week on that one. I'm sure the game will suck, that's why I bought it.....

No comments: